Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My fitness story

I have been thinking about starting a blog for some time now, but I wasn't sure if my life was interesting enough. I thought, "what do I have to say?" But as I was on my way home last night I thought "this could be a funny subject."

My Fitness History...

I have never been what you would call an athlete. Sure I went out for sports in junior high and high school but I never really excelled at anything. I am not much of a competitor, in fact I once asked my swim team coach "Is it ok if I just come to practice and skip the meets?" I do like to be active though, I love to go outside and most of my jobs have been physical in nature.

Like the typical teenager, however, that changed when I went to college. I gained the freshman 15, the sophomore 10, and then stayed pretty steady after that. Before college I had been so active that I didn't need to watch what I ate. Now all of the sudden eating whatever I wanted (plus drinking beer every weekend) was starting to catch up with me. Finally in my senior year my friend Emily hooked me up with Weight Watchers and I lost almost 30 lbs. I was back to my old self again, active and somewhat healthy.

This lasted about three years, until 2006. I was working in a laboratory and not getting much exercise, and then I started playing World of Warcraft (an online video game). I quickly became addicted and I suddenly found myself doing little to no activity at all, while sitting at the computer and eating. I ended up gaining about 45 lbs. In January 2008 I realized how unhealthy I was and vowed to get back to my normal self. I went back to Weight Watchers and thought it was going to be easy. Boy was I wrong. I had a really hard time keeping my motivation, and because my metabolism had dropped so much it was much harder to lose weight than when I was 21. I went back and forth from dieting, to eating whatever I wanted, and back again. I had a really hard time getting back on track. I did end up losing about 10-15lbs, but then I would yo-yo up and down 5 pounds. I spent the rest of the year yo-yoing up and down. Finally in Dec 08 I realized, if I want to be healthy and if I want to look good in my wedding dress, I am running out of time! I went back to Weight Watchers and over the last few months I have got my overeating mostly back in control. The problem now is exercise. I hate exercising. I like to go outside and walk, and I like to work, but I hate working out and lifting weights and running.

I went to the salon a couple weeks ago to get my hair done and one of the beauticians was talking about her "fitness boot camp" and how much she loves it. Last summer I considered going to boot camp but couldn't find a session that fit my schedule. I thought I would check it out again so I went to www.omahabootcamp.com. I saw that there was a session that started March 30th, and the time fit my schedule. I saw this as a sign. I moved some money around to pay for it, and then all I needed was someone to do it with. I knew that if I signed up on my own I would end up quitting. I am pretty honest with myself, and I know that is what would have happened. I sent a few people text messages to see who was interested, and my friend Jenna said it sounded awesome. So it was all set! I was pretty apprehensive but after I signed up and paid the money I knew it would be worth it. There was no quitting this time, my time and money were locked in, and I had someone to go with. Now all I had to do was show up...

No comments:

Post a Comment